Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Consequences


A couple of years ago I was driving my jeep (her name is Gracie) around on some back roads near my parents’ house. It was a beautiful day, I had the top down and was frankly driving faster than I should have been. I was driving on a gravel road and when I attempted to make a left-hand turn instead of turning I skidded pretty hard into a ditch.

Thankfully I was not hurt, though the same could not be same for Gracie. The most immediate problem was that rocks had been lodged between my tire and rim, giving me a flat tire. I had to put on my spare and take the tire in to get it repaired.

A problem of a more long-term time, however, occurred underneath the jeep. I bent a stabilizing arm which was connected to the front passenger-side wheel assembly.

I drove the jeep like this for the past couple of years, until finally the stabilizing arm broke loose several days ago. This necessitated a trip to the mechanic’s shop, and left me with a bill for $315.91.

That was $315.91 that would not have had to be spent on my jeep had I not been driving like an idiot. That amount of money would have purchased:

• 319 songs on iTunes

• 53 upper pavilion tickets at Turner Field for Braves Games

• 39 evening adult tickets at the Pinnacle Hills 12 Theater

• 37 meals at Panera Bread Company

• 23 adult tickets to the D-Day National WWII Museum in New Orleans

• 1 round trip airline ticket from Tulsa to Denver (with $41 to spare)

• all but $15 of a new 80-gig video iPod

Actions have consequences. “Do not be deceived, God is not mocked; for whatever a man sows, this he will also reap.” (Galatians 6.7)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

yeah.. be careful driving from now on..dont do stupid things like.. text, listen to luda, and drive 80.. its crazy.. but then again.. crazy is fun right!!!:)

Jared Dockery said...

Megan, I hope that you are only being hypothetical when you speak about texting while driving, driving 80 mph, or (scariest of all) listening to Ludacris. Please tell me I am right.

Luke Dockery said...

For $315.91, you could’ve also had approximately 13 repair jobs done by Randy.

And 7 or 8 of them would have actually worked!

Anonymous said...

You haven't touched this site in awhile so I don't know if you even come here anymore but I really wish you'd tell more stories about yourself and your daily life. Contrary to what you may think, there are people who find you interesting who would like to know more about YOU. I love books, but I want to know about the person reading them.