Wednesday, April 04, 2007

Used Book Store


Several months ago I went through a self-righteous anti-materialistic phase, the main feature of which was getting rid of about a third of my books. Most of the books I don’t miss. But one of the books I divested myself of was Clark Emery’s The World of Dylan Thomas, given to me by my kid sister on my 23rd birthday, when she was a precocious 17. I discovered that I missed the book, not so much for its scholarly merit, but because of its sentimental value.

Yesterday I went to the used book store on Dickson Street where I had sold the book, and there it was, with my name still written inside. The price was $7.50, and I bought it back. I don’t know how much credit I was given for the book when I sold it to the store, but I’m sure that I suffered a net loss of three or four dollars.

Would that all mistakes were undone so cheaply.

3 comments:

Luke Dockery said...

I like your post, and your acknowledgement of your "self-righteous anti-materialistic phase."

I like the picture too, but I had no idea that you played croquet in high school.

Jared Dockery said...

Acknowledgment and intention to change are two very different things.

Rachael Dockery said...

This is the first time I have ever been to your blogspot, but now that I know about your penchant for selling away the presents I buy you, it will not be the last. Consider yourself forewarned.